NOTE: The MR F77 has a built-in GPS receiver. An external GPS connection should not be needed unless the radio is installed at a location where it does not get good GPS reception.
The MR F77 comes with a short interconnect cable for connecting a GPS. One end of the cable has a connector for plugging into the data cable from the radio. The other end has bare wires for connecting to an external GPS device. The MR F77 requires an NMEA 0183 signal from the GPS device.
If your GPS device does not have a cable, then you must purchase a cable from the GPS manufacturer. You will also need wiring information for the cable (what each wire is for). Please contact the GPS manufacturer.
Some GPS devices have a 2-wire NMEA output, with the wires labeled (+) and (-). Connect as follows:
- Connect the NMEA DATA OUT (+) wire from the external GPS device to the GREEN wire on the MR F77. The NMEA DATA OUT (+) wire might be labeled NMEA OUT (+), or NMEA TX (+).
- Connect the NMEA DATA OUT (-) wire from the external GPS device to the YELLOW wire on the MR F77. The NMEA DATA OUT (-) wire might be labeled NMEA OUT (-) or NMEA TX (-).
Single Wire Connection
Some GPS devices have a single wire output. Connect as follows:
- Connect the NMEA DATA OUT wire from the external GPS device to the GREEN wire on the MR F77. The NMEA DATA OUT wire might be labeled NMEA OUT, or NMEA TX.
- Connect the YELLOW wire from the MR F77 to ground on the GPS device.
Configure the MR F77
- Press the MENU button.
- Scroll down to GPS MENU and press the ENTER button.
- INT/EXT GPS should be highlighted. Press the ENTER button.
- Select INTERNAL GPS OFF and press the ENTER button.
Configure the External GPS
It may be necessary to configure the NMEA output on the external GPS device. Please consult the owners manual for the external GPS device.
- If the output sentence is selectable, please choose either GGA, GLL, GNS, or RMC.
- Make sure that the NMEA output is configured to send standard NMEA sentences (not some kind of proprietary format).
Let the external GPS device acquire satellites and check whether you can see your latitude and longitude coordinates on the display of the MR F77. If you see the coordinates then you are done.
If you do not see the coordinates, then try switching wires around. You will not hurt anything by switching the wires.