A Few Rules You Should Know:
- Conversations cannot last more than 5 minutes with another station. A one minute break is required to let others use the channel.
- You cannot blast others off the air by use of illegally amplified transmitters or illegally high antennas.
- You cannot use CB to promote illegal activities.
- Profanity is not allowed.
- You may not transmit music with a CB.
- Selling of merchandise and/or services is prohibited.
Set Channel 9 For Emergencies
Be sure antenna is properly connected.
CB Distress Data
When transmitting an emergency, you should request a “REACT BASE” and provide the CB
distress data (called CLIP):
Call Sign Identify yourself.
Location Be exact.
Injuries Number. Type. Trapped?
Problem Give details and help needed.
Transmit CLIP repeatedly so any monitor can assist.
NOTE: If no response on channel 9, try channels 19 or 14.
The FCC gives these examples of permitted and prohibited messages for channel 9. These are only guidelines and not all-inclusive:
|Yes||“Tornado sighted six miles north of town.”|
|No||“Post number 10. No tornado sighted.”|
|Yes||“Out of gas on I-95 at mile marker 211.”|
|No||“Out of gas in my driveway.”|
|Yes||“Four car accident on I-94 at Exit 11. Send police and ambulance.”|
|No||“Traffic moving smoothly on I-94.”|
|Yes||“Fire in building at 539 Main, Evanston.”|
|No||“Halloween patrol number 3. All quiet.”|